Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Looking for work

I’m back to looking for work. This time I’m diving into the “Teaching English” pool – as so many have suggested. For years I have read about, talked about and thought about being an English teacher as the logical entré into the workforce. It has not exactly been my first choice of careers, but we do what we have to do.

As I mentioned in an earlier post – I quit my previous job. This action SHOCKED my friends. “Do you have an alternative!?” they asked with a look of disbelief. I did not. But I am not willing to deliver up my talents and attention to a boss/workplace that disrespects my contributions. Long story…

So here I am in the middle of Carnival season looking for work (i.e. not good timing.)

Anyway – the task is to find work, not to focus on the obstacles. I refurbished my resume with a slant toward my past experience as an educator and trainer. The internet has been, as always, a remarkable resource for researching the road ahead and identifying target employers.

With newly-polished resume and cover letter in hand I have been walking the streets of Niterói introducing myself to each of the 59 (FIFTY NINE!!) private schools/storefronts offering English language instruction. So far – a few nibbles.

Teaching English is not so much about having an international certification regarding lingual pedagogy as it is about joining a franchise and being taught their method of instruction. Most schools boast that their way of learning English is better/faster/more in depth than the other guy.

So as a totally green Gringo I am still employable because each of these schools need/wish to have a NATIVE SPEAKER to lead their conversation classes. That would be me.

More later – but for now I am looking for an opportunity to break into the field. Part time/on-call work seems to be the first step. I’ve got time. Luiz and I have some reserves so there is no pressure. Slow and steady will win this race. Race? No – no race here. Put me down for slow and steady.

No comments: