Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day rules

Mothers Day in Brazil has a force all its own. In a culture where family is almost everything – mothers are really almost  everything. Time stops for Mothers Day.

That’s a good thing.

The everyday emotional connection you can see everywhere between a mother and daughter – or son – on the street is heart warming (not to mention with grandchildren). Listening to adult children speak lovingly and reverently to their mothers (by phone or in person) – every day, frequently – is both strange to my American ear and charming.

It is so NOT unusual to overhear a phone conversation between a 45(ish) year old man and his mother: “Mom – where are you? How was your day? The kids and I will visit tomorrow. Do you need anything? Kisses, goodbye.” So sweet, but frankly – it is foreign to me.

But it inspires me.

My mother-in-law loves both Luiz and I and we reach out to remind her how much we love her. The dynamic can be, at times, challenging. But here on Mothers Day I want to embrace all I can gain from the very powerful family connection found here in Brazil that I did not experience so much in the US (while certainly loving my mom back home!!)

UPDATE: Luiz and I spoke with my mom in Florida.  She is thriving.  And we hosted lunch for Zozó: chicken empadão a francesa, arroz branco e salada.  For dessert I made a pineapple upside down cake.

No comments: