Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Brazil Game Show

One of my translation clients is the management team at Brazil Game Show. These guys are putting together the largest video game convention in South America, which will happen in Rio on November 20th and 21st.  It is in its third year.

It’s been a real education for me. The last time I played a video game with any enthusiasm it was Pac Man (seriously). This whole video game technology parade has been passing me by. Technology in general moves way too fast for me to keep up.

I don’t own a smart phone. Most of the buttons on our TV remote are a mystery to me. I need to cook lunch for Amanda (and invite her over to help me) every time I want to try something new on my computer. And until about three weeks ago I had NEVER sent a text message. (I know… be nice… I’m learning…)

So translating marketing materials, press releases and sales contracts for the Brazil Game Show folks has been a journey through the looking glass. Thank goodness for Google search. Some of the words I’ve discovered are only words in the video game universe.


All that aside, I do want to plug the event. It will be heaven on earth for video game enthusiasts. The event will take over the SulAmérica convention center in Rio and feature all the big names in the industry. Plus there will be competitions, free gaming, lectures and hired sexy women in scanty outfits that are supposed to excite the guys. (I keep reminding my clients that 10% of their target audience is gay, so they may want to hire some sexy men in tiny Speedos, but they’re not buying it. LOL)

So if this is your cup of tea, c’mon by. I’ll be working the VIP lounge speaking English with the trade executives flying in from overseas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my son would LOVE this. Too bad we'll both be in the states, but I'm totally going to tell him what he's missing.

Have fun!
Peg