Thursday, May 5, 2011

Documentary - Brazil: A Racial Paradise?

Wow – thanks to Meredith’s vigilance on the subject, I just watched the latest in the series of documentaries about being Black in Latin America being written and produced by Dr. Henry Luis Gates, Jr.  I posted about his important series previously.
The episode was: "Brazil: A Racial Paradise?"  Fantastic.  Take the time. Watch the documentary.
Issues of race are complicated here in Brazil, as they are in the United States.  But these dynamics can be SO DIFFERENT (and also the same) when it comes to the history of Africans, slavery, integration, opportunity, true equality.
The struggles of the descendants of slavery in the US and in Brazil are in many ways similar – but in many ways they are completely different.
This is an EXCELLENT video program that explores this material.

Here are the first few minutes of the film.


Watch the full episode. See more
Black in Latin America.

2 comments:

Nina said...

awesome, now if telefonica works with me. I might actually be able to watch it one day. But I am going to recommend my students who call America on the racism card to watch it.

Meredith said...

I thought it was excellently done. I'm going to show the entire video to my students (once we're done reading "Romeo & Juliet") so I'll let you know how that goes.
I was glad to have been able to watch it on PBS the other night.
Thanks for posting about this in the first place.