Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blogger Meet-Up – Update

 Thank you to everyone who responded to the initial post and who have continued with thoughts via email and Facebook.  Looks like we have a plan.

Mark your calendar: on Saturday, July 16th we will meet in Praça XV in Rio at 10:00 a.m. for first a walking tour and then lunch thereafter at about 12:30 in Cinelandia. We will have a trained city guide leading the way (my partner Luiz).
Everyone is invited: bloggers (expats and otherwise), commenters, readers, lurkers – anybody. Just keep in mind that we are gathering for a social day where we will speak English with each other. Join us.
Here are the fun details:

We will meet at 10:00 sharp at the Master Velentim’s Fountain (old drinking water fountain) located in sort of the middle of the Praça.  From there we will walk through the Arco de Teles and into an ancient section of Rio where some of the streets are just as they were 300 years ago.
From there we will head downtown, past the Imperial Palace to the Tiradentes Palace. From there we will turn up into the thick of Centro, toward Rua da Carioca. On the way we will stop at Confeitaria Columbo, an historic and amazingly ornate place for tea and sweets.

Then back to Rua da Carioca, with its historic buildings and scenic backdrop.
After passing Praça Tiradents, when we get to Rua do Lavradio we will turn left and enjoy this cute, cute, cute street that is the center of antique shops in the City, plus multiple very cool restaurants.

Once we get to Av. Mem de Sá we will turn left and head to the Lapa arches.  We’ll walk under the arches and turn left and head toward Cinelandia.

Once in Cinelandia, with the Municipal Theater, the National Library and the National Museum of Arts in view, we will settle in for lunch at the 90 year old restaurant, Amarelinho.

For people who want to skip the walking tour, plan to meet up with us around 12:30 p.m. at Amarelinho. You might want to get a cell phone number from one of us so you can time your arrival and not wait too long.
Sound like fun?  Come join us!

20 comments:

Rachel said...

WHooooo Hoooooo! Excited to meet up as well as to see Luis do his thing!

Nina said...

sadness, we don´t-- well ricardo does not have the ability to escape from work. I wish we could come! anyways, perfectly planned as always Jim. Sorry I haven´t posted a comment in forever. I have been having technical difficulties. Glad to here your surgery went well and your recovering.

Anonymous said...

SO bummed I'm going to miss this. I'd love to replace my memory of the Lapa Arches with a good one (robbed), and I wish I could meet up with everyone. Looks like Luiz has come up with a fantastic plan.

Hope you all have a great time. Somebody have a caipirinha for me!

Corinne said...

count me in!! Not sure yet whether I will do the tour and lunch, but definitely I will be there for lunch. Are expat moms and dads going with or without kids?

Anonymous said...

I would like to meet everyone, but will not be able to make it to Rio this time:( Have fun! Maybe next time.

Meredith said...

Sounds like fun....and it's so well planned.
Have a good time!

Jana said...

Ugh totally bummed I can't be there but I hope someone is taking pictures!!! Looks like you guys have a great itinerary! Have fun!!!

Rachel said...

Bummed you guys can't come! Then again, only gives us an excuse to have another (and by us I mean Jim planning one :)

Btw, Those of you who don't comment but can bust out some English and want to come, don't be afraid!

Jim said...

Just keep trying to make it happen...

If I am the planner of the next one -- it may just have to be in Niterói. Be careful what ou wish for.

For now let's focus on this meet-up. Let's make it happen.

American Heart Brazilian Soul said...

Jim,

You know how much I would LOVE to be with you guys. I am crazy for HISTORY and Rio is fascinating.
Count me in for the next one for sure.
We will be looking forward to your pictures and a complete post on your great Historic Rio blogger met up!
You guys make sure to take a group picture too! :)

Ray

Gina said...

Have a wonderful time (like you wouldn't) everyone! - I will just have to live vicariously thru the pictures and write ups...

SN said...

We should be there! I have to go over the details with the hubby so we may just meet for lunch- These days he hates me walking around so much but I feel great.

Jim said...

Sara - come. come. COME!

Everyone wants to put our hand on your belly (OK, but in the USA tradition, we will ask permission first. hahahah)

Would be great to meet your husband.

Born Again Brazilian said...

Great! Sounds amazing! The day will also mark our one-year anniversary of living in Brazil! What a great way to celebrate. (Corinne - we'll probably bring our daughter, unless anyone objects. She adores museums, etc.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jim, this sounds so exciting!! And super well organized. I can't wait! I do plan to come.

If any other readers are interested in heading out together from Leblon/Ipanema, please let me know at jkdea2005 at gmail dot com.

Oh and was just wondering if there's a back-up plan in case of rain? Or is it a "rain or shine" kinda event? (Just randomly thought about the rain because it's pouring buckets right now!)

--Jean

Unknown said...

I've been so behind on my reading! But Jim, Danielle, Rachel, everyone... I'll be there for sure. also not sure if I"ll make it for the tour - I really want to but it's a little early - I'll have to leave the house at about 8.
I'll see :)
CAN'T WAIT :D

Jim said...

Make the commitment - wake up early - get to the point of departure!! Feel the love.

As for rain - this is a Rain-or-Shine event.

The last time I went on a tour it was raining in the morning, but the whole afternoon was spectacular. Please do not cash out in the morning -- the day will be super cool!

And be clear: kids welcome!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for including the readers...We would love to join you!

Rachel said...

Sadly, Daniel will be flying back from São Paulo Saturday. He told me first thing in the morning, that means 11am...

So I will hopefully make it to the lunch. I'm totally bummed about missing the tour :(

Jim said...

Rachel - that sucks. You are a main draw!! But please bring your cutist of cute boys (and husband) to the lunch end of our gathering!